Dominium promoters intend, through their project, to tie the local economic fabric consisting mainly of smallholder farmers with a cereal, arboreal and pastoral vocation to the international value chain of olive oil and to give them all the benefits of a premium quality product designed to the best international standards and with access to international consumers and markets.
Besides the Family olive groves operated by the two brothers, Dominium’s production of olive oil comes from a whole network of small partner farmers with a cereal, arboreal and pastoral vocation, for whom the Dominium project offers an indirect link for their production to the international value chain of olive oil and to give them part of the benefits of a premium quality product designed to the best international standards and with access to international consumers and markets.
In practice, thanks to Dominum’s project, partner farmers benefit from a solid solidarity system based on fair trade principles, This system mainly includes :
- Free technical assistance to obtain and maintain the organic label for their plots,
- Free Technical assistance in the adoption of organic farming techniques
- Possibility , for those who require it , of prefinancing part of their olive culture activity
- A guaranteed market for their olive production
- A fair trade premium price for their product
- An innovative incentive model that allows them to systematically leverage quality; a possibility which sometimes may not exist in the local traditional trading system.
• Ensure that producers receive prices that cover their average costs of sustainable production
• Provide an additional Fairtrade Premium which can be invested in projects that enhance social, economic and environmental development
• Enable pre-financing for producers who require it
• Facilitate long-term trading partnerships and enable greater producer control over the trading process
• Set clear core and development criteria to ensure that the conditions of production and trade of all Fairtrade certified products are both socially and economically fair as well as environmentally responsible